Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day. But what about when you’re trying to conceive?
Here we share our favourite yummy breakfast ideas which will balance out your sex hormones for optimal fertility and vitality. These dishes contain omega 3 fats, folate, B vitamins, zinc, iodine, probiotics and fibre as well as plenty of protein to balance out blood sugars.
What is the best breakfast for fertility?
Having a well balanced breakfast with protein and foods high in antioxidants is the best way to start the day and will help you get the nutrients you need to conceive. Plus changing up the ingredients in your breakfast is key for good gut health which supports your immune system and makes you more fertile. This includes prebiotic foods such as greener bananas and apples, or simply swapping your greek yoghurt for Kefir will also give you some extra live bacteria.
Fertility breakfast recipes
Oats help to lower your cholesterol levels plus gives you that slower release of energy helping you to feel fuller for longer. Some studies suggest that whole milk is better for fertility than reduced fat milk but fortified plant based milk can be used. Chia seeds also give the essential omega 3 fats we need which is anti-inflammatory for the body and can also be found in oily fish such as salmon. The fresh blueberries are there for natural sweetness, fibre and antioxidants.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsps chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsps unsweetened shredded coconut (plus more for topping)
- 1 1/2 tbsps ground flax seed
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chopped medjool dates
- 50g blueberries
- Heat the milk in a small pot over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Turn the heat off then add the chia seeds, coconut, flax, cinnamon, and dates. Stir for about a minute until the porridge has thickened.
- Let the porridge rest for two to three minutes more to allow the chia seeds time to swell. Add more milk if needed to reach the desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl and top with blueberries.
Poached egg on avocado toast
This dish contains eggs which are a good source of iodine and selenium both involved with the thyroid. The thyroid gland controls metabolism and regulates heart rate, breathing, body weight, muscle strength, body temperature, menstrual cycles, and even cholesterol levels. Iodine is required for thyroid hormone synthesis, and selenium plays an essential role in the metabolism of thyroid hormones. There is a strong relationship between magnesium and thyroid hormone production and magnesium is contained within the spinach.
- 1 slice whole grain or rye bread
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large handful of spinach
- ½ avocado
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Toast your bread.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and add the spinach. Pop the lid on and cook on low for 1-2 minutes, until just wilted.
- Cut avocado in half, remove the pit and cut into fine slices. Layer avocado on the toast, mash with a fork and season with a bit of sea salt and black pepper.
- Crack your egg into a bowl.
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil on your stovetop. Add sea salt and vinegar. Begin stirring your water with a spoon to create a whirlpool. Carefully add your egg into the whirlpool. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes then use a slotted spoon to carefully remove from the poached egg onto the top of your toast and season again with sea salt and pepper.
Smoked salmon omelette
Salmon counts as one of your weekly oily fish portions and so having it for breakfast is a nice way of ticking that goal and making a change from a sweet breakfast. Consuming omega 3 fats on a regular basis has been shown to improve egg quality and longer reproductive lifespan. Eggs contain choline, a compound often missing in prenatal supplements and is essential for early brain development.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsps fresh dill (finely chopped, divided)
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 tbsps feta cheese (crumbled)
- 56 grams smoked salmon
- In a bowl, add the eggs and half of the dill. Whisk well to combine.
- In a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, add the butter. Once hot, pour the egg mixture into the pan and let it cook until almost set. Place the feta cheese on one half of the omelette and then fold the other half over on top. Remove from the heat and transfer onto a plate. Top with smoked salmon and the remaining dill.
Omega-3 fats can assist with stress reduction through cortisol concentrations. These healthy fats are found in the chia seeds. Plus the protein powder will help regulate the natural sugars from the fruit.
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/8 cup hemp seed protein powder
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass.
Having a well balanced breakfast with all your required macros and trying new breakfast recipes will ensure you are getting all the right nutrients to conceive a baby. A generally good lifestyle to follow is the Mediterranean diet as it focuses on the healthy monounsaturated fats. You can also find more fertility boosting smoothie recipes on our blog.
If you’d like personalised advice about how nutrition can affect your fertility, book a one to one appointment with a registered fertility nutritionist here at Naytal. Our team of friendly experts will provide a tailored nutritional assessment and help you to improve your diet for your best chance of conceiving.
Melissa, Naytal Nutritionist
Melissa is a registered nutritionist who is passionate about creating sustainable and enjoyable health and wellbeing plans for women and their families.